What is a safety switch?
Safety switches are an insurance against electric shock and are designed to prevent injury or death. They monitor the flow of electricity through a circuit. They automatically shut off the electricity supply when current is detected leaking from faulty switches, wiring or electrical appliances. This stops the chance of current flowing to earth, through a person, electrocuting them.
Are safety switches fail safe?
Nothing is fail-safe. Safety switches should be regularly checked. Just like a smoke alarm or other safety device, if it is not working properly, it cannot protect. It is also important to make sure electrical appliances, extension leads and other electrical equipment are regularly checked and kept in good working order.
How do I know if a safety switch is installed?
Check by looking at the switchboard for a TEST/RESET button. This tells you if there is a safety switch installed.
How do I test a safety switch?
- To test a safety switch, simply press the TEST button, this should automatically trip the switch to the ‘OFF’ position
- Reset by pushing the switch back to ‘ON’
- If it doesn’t work, contact your Property Manager immediately
Why did it trip?
- If a safety switch turns off the power, it may be a faulty appliance or electrical wiring
- Reset the safety switch. If it trips again, unplug the last appliance used. If everything works okay, take that appliance to a licensed electrical contractor to be checked or replace it
- If the safety switch keeps tripping, disconnect all appliances and plug them in, one at a time, until the fault is located
- Avoid touching appliances while carrying out this process
For further information please contact your property management experts.